Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Maya Saelee, Reporter

Do you enjoy romance movies? Action or horror? How about an action-horror romance? Like it or not, “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” is the movie to see. Many PPZ comic fans were excited for the premiere on the night of February 5th.

Enhanced with a zombie plot twist, PPZ is based Jane Austen’s novel Pride and Prejudice, hence the extended title. Not familiar with Pride and Prejudice? That’s okay. This spin-off, written by Seth Grahame-Smith, actually follows the main plot of the original storyline. The only difference is the added conflict of zombies. The story takes place during the 19th century England; the main characters including, the Bennet family, Mr. Darcy, and Mr. Bingley. In Pride and Prejudice, the story wraps around the turn of events and drama that occur as the Bennet family seek to marry off the eldest daughters. Although PPZ is fairly similar to the original, this adaptation contains a slight tinge of comedy, sarcasm, and a kick of action.

This is a movie that you can’t not watch; taking place in the 1800s, the characters go about their lives in society, living amongst a zombie plague. Mr. Darcy, played by actor Sam Riley, the heartless, arrogant yet very wealthy zombie hunter bachelor. Douglas Booth plays Mr. Bingley, the quirky, romantic, and wealthy bachelor who seems to be the exact opposite of his best friend, Darcy. Of the five Bennet sisters stars Lily James (Elizabeth Bennet) and Suki Waterhouse (Kitty Bennet), all of whom are highly trained zombie slayers, readily armed with weapons wherever they go.

“Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” appears to be a hardcore, action-packed version of the dramatic, romantic concept of Pride and Prejudice. Who wouldn’t want to see a zombie movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat?

PPZ raised the opinion of many movie-goers. West Anchorage High School senior Tiara Merculieff didn’t have very high hopes for PPZ when she saw the trailer. “I feel like the storyline would have been a lot better without the zombies,” she says after seeing the movie. “I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone because it was beyond cheesy.”

But there were also those who really enjoyed the movie. Sophomore Avigail Manalo, on the other hand, saw PPZ on the night of the premiere. She was left with a great impression. “It was kind of like the original one, except with zombies, which was 10 times better,” she said. She had also seen the original film “Pride and Prejudice,” based on Austen’s novel, but much preferred PPZ. “The original one was honestly kind of boring. The zombie one was more suspenseful,” added Manalo. Another viewer that was left pleased was senior Macy Cruz. “It was a super good movie, just enough gore to make it a good zombie movie,” said Cruz.