West High Art Program

Yara Hassan, Reporter

West High has a rich history of excelling in art programs. Students shine in theater, choir, orchestra, band, dance and a variety of in-school art classes. Through art, students are able to express their feelings and their imaginations. Words may not be able to describe the message they are trying to send, but their art can.

Art teachers Rachel Wall and Megan Henry help students at West learn new skills in art and to use tools the correct way. The teachers each teach different types of art and each teaches different classes. Wall teaches IB visual arts, art studio and pottery. Students can take pottery up to four times throughout their high school years. Wall enjoys teaching art because it is not about getting the right or wrong answer, but to be creative and to find your talent. She even recommends pottery for students with no experience because it is not like any other art class and the students get to use their hands while working which makes them have full control of what they want their shape to be. 

The classes West offers are a great introduction for students to continue taking art in college. “My favorite thing about art is the different possibilities, like curiosity and getting creative outcomes,” Wall says. Art is important because students can apply what they learn in a hands-on, creative way and they can think outside the box.

Naima Davis is a sophomore at West and a student in pottery. During Davis’ freshman year, she took basic art. Davis is currently enrolled in pottery and she enjoys getting behind the pottery wheel to create new things. Students often use the pottery wheel, carving tools, and texture stamps to create their desired vision. She wants to have an opportunity to do more group projects and communicate with other students to do more specific projects. “My favorite thing is to go on the wheel because I have never done it before and I like learning new things,” Davis says. Davis will take more art classes in the future if she gets the opportunity. 

Kale Rude is a junior who took pottery during his sophomore year. Rude has done sketching and used oil, chalk and charcoal. “My favorite thing is to use the charcoal because I really enjoy it and I can get more creative with it,” Rude says. Rude thinks if students had a studio fee, there would be more materials provided for students to use and the students would be more careful while using materials. Rude has the opportunity to experience the use of different materials.

You can find out more about the art classes by visiting rooms 25 and 27.