Eagle's Cry

YANA Club

YANA+Club
YANA Club

YANA Club

YANA Club

Charlie Van, Reporter

West Anchorage High School boasts nearly 35 clubs for students. YANA Club provides many students a safe place where they can share their thoughts and talk to fellow classmates, as well as learn skills to help others feel valued.

YANA  stands for  “You Are Not Alone”  and is a national club across the nation. The  goal of YANA is to make a difference one smile at a time.  Yana Club is sponsored by Carri Jones, a West High math teacher. Jones has been teaching at West for five years and she never intended on running YANA Club, but is pleased with the effect it has had on the students who attend. “YANA Club has positively impacted a few people here at West to teach them how to get help and what resources that are actually available to them,” said Jones.

This year YANA has really focused on suicide prevention and awareness. Jones and club members presented in nearly all the English classes at West, teaching students about how to help someone who may be battling thoughts of suicide and sharing information on resources available. Jones took several YANA members to Kodiak in March to make the presentations to students.

To increase the amount of student participation, YANA club hosts a pizza party every third Tuesday of the month. Club members hope to have more and more people joining in the next years. The club welcomes all students. “You don’t have to be struggling to go. Its for anyone to just hang out or chill,” Jones said.

West High Junior Aaron Medina describes the club as a chill place to be where students  can talk to friends and hear each other’s thoughts. Medina says, “The club has so much positivity. It’s all positive vibes in here.” Medina has been a part of YANA for about a year now and says he really enjoys it.

YANA Club meets every Tuesday during lunch in room 57.

17 Comments

17 Responses to “YANA Club”

1. Arita Konjuhi on May 10th, 2018 8:20 am

I like how Ms.Jones decided to take students to Kodiak to do presentations there to make sure that students all over are educated on suicide prevention and awareness.

[Reply]

2. Cynthia Lopez on May 10th, 2018 10:11 am

I thought this was a well written article, although try to use longer quotes for more information on what the person is saying about the subject.

[Reply]

3. Evan on May 10th, 2018 1:05 pm

This is a nice article that will help many others in life and learn how to get help. YANA is a good club that I believe should stay for as long as possible.

[Reply]

4. Evan on May 10th, 2018 1:05 pm

[Reply]

5. charlie van on May 15th, 2018 11:41 am

This is the best article on this site. i like how charlie had interviewed some students and their thoughts on it.

[Reply]

6. Gillian Sokolov on May 15th, 2018 1:47 pm

This club is a great oppourtunity to reach out to students and connect with people that have your same mindset.

[Reply]

7. Clirim Hukali on May 15th, 2018 1:57 pm

This is a great club.

[Reply]

8. Sydney on May 17th, 2018 11:17 pm

This article really makes me want to join YANA club! I didn’t know that
    Jones had taken students to Kodiak to give presentations on suicide awareness. That’s pretty cool! Good job on giving information on this club while still making it easy to read and interesting.

[Reply]

9. Xiaofei Metcalf on May 18th, 2018 9:03 am

It’s cool how this club welcomes everybody and how they are focusing om suicide prevention and awareness.

[Reply]

10. Xiaofei Metcalf on May 18th, 2018 9:04 am

*on

[Reply]

11. Jackson Pillifant on May 18th, 2018 10:02 am

The amount of information that this article has is great for getting people to join the club.

[Reply]

12. Mya on May 18th, 2018 10:14 am

This article has a lot of information that would make someone feel welcome to come in and talk to somebody.

[Reply]

13. Sam Brandebery on May 18th, 2018 12:19 pm

I think this is great that there is a club that foocuses on suicide prevention. Everything helps!

[Reply]

14. Sam Brandebery on May 18th, 2018 12:21 pm

I think this is great that there is this YANA club that focuses on suicide prevention. Everything helps!

[Reply]

15. daniella sudaria on May 18th, 2018 12:22 pm

Reading this article about YANA club really made me interested! I’ve never really been the one to join clubs, but I would have to check this out.

[Reply]

16. Colleen on May 18th, 2018 12:23 pm

I love how you shined more light into a club that will definetely benefit the school and help other students.

[Reply]

17. Carter Stolp on May 18th, 2018 12:56 pm

Great article. Way to highlight an amzing club at West High!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of West Anchorage High School
YANA Club