Eagle's Cry

Interact Club

Interact Club Sponsor John Ruhlin

Interact Club Sponsor John Ruhlin

Interact Club Sponsor John Ruhlin

Audrey Hunt, Reporter

“Think Globally, Act Locally” is the motto of Interact Club students here at West Anchorage High School. For the past four years, West High has been sponsoring club, which meets every Tuesday at lunch in room 10. The club is a school and community club in Anchorage and it deals with acting on those who are in need.

The club works by doing creative projects and local fundraisers. “We are working on recycling plastics and wrapping up our ‘Dressember’ fundraiser. We got close to $2,000, which is pretty cool,” says the president of Interact Club, Evie Sorrell. Sorrell has been in Interact Club ever since her sophomore year in February.

She became president of the club that same year in May. Interact Club’s most recent fundraiser dealt with human trafficking and how to prevent it. “We have a central theme that we work off of throughout the year,” Isabela Harmon says. Harmon has been an active participant in Interact Club for a year and a half. “Last year was refugees, and we were doing videos and things that make it easier for refugees coming to Anchorage to get settled. This year, we’re doing a lot with human trafficking and the natural disasters that have been happening lately.”

Interact Club members during a weekly meeting.

Isabela Harmon has been in Interact Club since the beginning of last year. “They were trying to get more members, and I was like oh, this should be really fun, I like community service, it’s what I do in my free time,” says Harmon. Most of the kids in this club have joined through their friends during lunch time. “I came in late into my sophomore year, and the rest of the people in the club were all seniors and then they all graduated, and then there was only four of us,” says Sorrell.

Most students wonder what makes Interact Club different compared to other charity clubs. “I think what makes us different to clubs such as Key Club, is that we do more creative projects, that aren’t your typical charity work,” says Sorrell.

Interact club does projects more on a global level, however it affects locally. The IB (International Baccalaureate) Coordinator, John Ruhlin, is also Interact Club’s teacher sponsor. He has been sponsoring for the club for four years. “I began to sponsor this club because I liked the idea with working with kids who liked to community service and who were focused during their lunch time,” says Ruhlin.

In the beginning of his sponsor he was worried that the students wouldn’t follow through with their project plans. “The hardest thing for me is knowing that they are going to take care of things, and they always do,” says Ruhlin.

Interact is in need of more underclassmen this year to keep the club running following for years to come. Don’t be afraid to come in a trying something new during your lunch time. It’s time to give back to the community and to “Think Globally, Act Locally.”

Interact is in need of more underclassmen this year to keep the club running following for years to come. Don’t be afraid to come in a trying something new during your lunch time. It’s time to give back to the community and to “think globally, and act locally.”