West Tardy Policy

Katie Soukkasseum, Reporter

The tardy policy at West was created two years ago to help kids go to class.  There are stations around the school, student must walk to one and get a pass if late according to the West High student handbook. Students will be given three passes stuck together then separated after the pass is filled out. One pass for security, one pass to the teacher, and one pass to keep. Security officers stay at stations for 10 minutes after each final bell.

Detention must be served within 48 hours. If detention isn’t served, work detail will be given. Work detail is picking up trash after school. If work detail isn’t served then the student will be given ISS, in school suspension. If ISS isn’t served then the student will be given Tuesday school every week, which is ISS after school for two hours.

A student is considered present upon entering the doorway of classroom at the final bell. Students may still be considered tardy if the teacher wants students in their seat at the final bell.

The previous tardy policy wasn’t strict. Too many kids were being late with no punishment and kids took advantage of that.

Stanley Engel a basketball coach and security guard has been working at West for 2 years. Engel got his jobs and came from East High School where he worked for 4 years. Engel explains the tardy policy as a progression helping kids get to class on time and preparing them for the real world.  Engel said, “it’s a necessary evil!” laughing when asked how he feels about writing passes. Kids are mostly late during lunchtime and the morning says Engel.

Robert Green a teacher in Relo 14 has been teaching Social Studies for 12 years at West. Green teaches United States Government, Psychology, and Economics. Green gives his morning students an extra one-minute to get to class. Green understands that it’s hard to get to his class on time. Green said, “Generally it’s a good policy. It clears the hallways.” So far no securities came to Green’s relo looking for kids.

Eric Ulechong was born in Saipan and raised in Guam. Ulechong came to West sophomore year and was always late last semester. He has never been late yet. He got many work details and detentions from being late in the morning due to trouble waking up. Ulechong said, “ I just don’t the tardy policy. I think passing time should be 10 or 15 minutes.” He explains the high school in Guam where he went to also has a tardy policy.

The tardy policy is very effective and isn’t going away.