Teens in the Workforce

Madeline Dooley, Reporter

Juggling school with after-school activities is a dilemma that many students face and have to adjust to in order to be successful.

Being a working teen is a good way to earn extra money that does not necessarily need to spent on adult hassles such as bills and rent. Working teens encounter the good, the bad, and the ugly as they balance working with their everyday life.

Many working teens can agree that the extra cash flow is the best part about having an after school job. The main reason that they endure all the hardships of having a job is “for the money,” says Kiana Peterson, who works at Allen and Peterson.

The boss of a teenager also enjoys the enthusiasm and youthfulness that a teen brings to the workplace. “They bring a different level of energy that’s for sure,” says Wolfgang Roberts, a manager of at Auntie Anne’s.

Many people who work over teens believe is important for them to get accustomed to the responsibility of working. “Teens should get started as early as possible,” says Roberts, who has been working since the age of nine.

On the other hand, Roberts does mention the problems of working with teens. He claims that younger people are less focused and not as committed to their work. He lists off how teens are more likely to be late, and they are less prepared when they show up to work. Managers have to supervise more closely over teens to make sure that all tasks are done correctly the first time.

Teens can however, find it difficult to fit in the workplace among the adults. Teens have trouble, “Pleasing everyone: parents, kids, supervisors,” says Nia Milliman, who gives swim lessons at Swim America.

Milliman expresses the stress of teaching children while also having high caution towards their safety. “I have to make sure they don’t drown,” says Milliman.

Milliman also mentions that many issues can occur if a specific job requires one to interact with younger children. Unruly and misbehaving children make tasks twice as difficult and entirely more frustrating because a teen’s success relies on a bratty child.

Peterson and Milliman expressed their thoughts of the importance of being a responsible worker and student. Being able to make sure one’s studies are finished and creating time for a social life or recreational activities while also being able to attend their work can be very stressful. However, with the right time management skills and the acceptance of that being a lazy couch potato will have to wait for summer break, are essential to being a successful working teen.

Milliman, Peterson, and Roberts all agree that the responsibility required and the skills acquired for working are important for teens becoming successful adults.