Basketball vs. SOHI

Dan Bradbury, Reporter

The West High Eagles played the Soldotna High Stars Saturday, January 20th at West Anchorage High School. The Eagles were expected to win the game with ease, however the Stars weren’t going to give up so easily.

The Eagles took off with a rambunctious 8-0 lead over the Stars, but the stars came back to tie it up 8-8. For every lead the Eagles got, the Stars were there to tie it back up. The Stars took the lead late in the third quarter, but relinquished it shortly. The Eagles and Stars were battling back and forth all throughout the game, there was few lead changes, most consistently held by West, but many ties.

The Stars were playing a game of catch up throughout the fourth quarter, when it came down to the final minutes. Eagles stopped the Stars offense on a last-minute drive, and held the lead last 7 seconds of the game to win 60-57.

West’s star players in this matchup were Luka Wal, Iziaha King, Diondre McMorris, and Devin Mong. Wal came away with a double-double, scoring 10 points, and 10rebounds of the glass. King played a very well-rounded game, scoring 10 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, and a couple of steals.

McMorris is West’s Leader on the floor; he’s been with West for four years and has started on varsity for more than two years. He understands the team and is a great West point guard. McMorris scored 15 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, and made 3 steals.

Mong is another star player. When the team needs something to get done they pass the ball to Mong, and he’ll do it.. Whether it is stopping the offense on a last drive, sprinting down the court to get the lead with a basket, or shooting that three ball for the win, Mong will get the job done.

Mong came away with a very well rounded stat sheet, 15 points, 10 rebounds, 10 steals and a handful of three pointers. No matter who is on the court for the Eagles, they have got a very skilled squad, and plenty of experienced leaders out there.

After this home game win, the Eagles record propelled 10-4. The Eagles are playing East High School at an away conference game on the 5th. The Eagles are currently ranked Top three in the Cook Inlet Conference, and top five in the State. West Eagles have a skilled and experienced team, and a fantastic coaching staff, they look forward to seeing all their fans and supporters cheering them on, next week at East.