Boys Hockey: West vs. West Valley

Mitch Goudreau, Reporter

The West Anchorage High School boys hockey team played their third game of the season against the West Valley Wolfpack on Friday November 10, 2017 at Ben Boeke Ice Arena. It was a high scoring game with lots of action until the final buzzer went off.

West Valley got off to a 2-0 lead in the first period and then a 4-0 lead in the second period from a three-goal hat trick by Wolfpack forward Anton Ruppert. But late in the second period the Eagles started to rally with two goals each from West forward Chase Schwamm and West defensemen Parker Pickett. One of Schwamm’s goals going in 10 seconds before the period ended, which was a big boost for the team. But it went south from there as West Valley forward Coleman Baxter scored the game winning goal with 67 seconds left in the last period, when it was tied at four to give them a one point lead.

West could not come up with the goal in those 67 seconds as they lost 5-4 to a solid West Valley team.  Simon Atkinson was the goalie for the whole game for West Valley while Darby Miller and Connor Batman both got to play goalie for West in this game. West forward Revvy Mack led the team with 2 assists and defensemen Bryce Welch also had 2 assists for West.

Sawyer Courrier said he was a little disappointed about his and the team’s performance. “We played differently as a team, I think we’re a better team than that; we could’ve won that one.” Courrier is confident his team will be fine for the rest of the season. “I think we’re going to grow and get a lot better and I think at the end of the year it’ going to be a surprise for everyone,” said Courrier

Jackson Lindemann is positive about the team’s chances the rest of the season. “ I think if we come together and keep improving like we have been, hopefully we’ll make it to state this year and go somewhere further than we went last year,” he said.

Revvy Mack, a freshman forward, is enthusiastic about this team and how they’ll play the rest of the season even after the loss. “We played pretty well for the most part but the goal is to get the win and we didn’t do that. It feels good to be part of the team as we’re trying to fill some big shoes after my brother (Sullivan Mack) left but I’m hoping to bring a championship to West,” said Mack. West will play a handful of games before the regional tournament to go to state so go out and watch West hockey.