Historic Flag Football Season

Daniel Bradbury, Reporter

The West Anchorage High School flag football team made history during the regular season, with 14 wins, zero losses and being the back to back Cook Inlet Conference champions. In the postseason, the Eagles defeated the East High Thunderbirds 28-0, blowing out the Eagle River Wolf Pack, but they couldn’t hold out against the Dimond Lynx losing 18-19 in the state championships. The state championship game took place on October 11th, 2:00 PM at The Nest on Hillcrest.

The Eagles had a historic flag football season, led by two time Co-Offensive Player-of-the-Year, quarterback Rebecca Syrup. As the anchor on defense, two-time back to back Defensive Player-of-the-Year Maya Baquiran led the state in flag pulls. Co-Offensive Player of the Year, Isabella Roberts, led the league in rushing yards.

In the 2016 flag football season, Syrup broke the state record for touchdown passes, coming in at 36. Syrup followed up her historic 2016 season in 2017, breaking the passing yard record, throwing 3,330 yards. Syrup shares her thoughts on the season ending. “I would’ve rather won the State Championship, but it’s an honor winning the Offensive Player of the Year Award again, and I’m happy I got to share it with Isabella Roberts, and happy Maya won Defensive Player of the Year” Syrup says.

The Lady Eagles fell victim to the Dimond Lynx at 3:30 on Saturday October 14. Head Coach Travis Cantrell shares his thoughts on the game. “Even in the first quarter [Dimond] were running the clock down, because that’s what [they] do,” he says.

Cantrell knows it was a tough loss to take, but he is still very proud of West’s players getting five player of the year awards these past two years. Cantrell is very happy with the Lady Eagles season, and knows they had the best team, and winning the MVP awards is a testament to that. Cantrell comments on Player-of-the-Year awards. “Not only does West know that our players are the best, but the coaching association that voted on the awards acknowledges that,” Cantrell says.

These players worked hard in the off season and throughout the season on their way to a historic season. A championship means a lot to Cantrell, but getting the awards means more to the team, proving West has an outstanding team, with some amazing talent. Cantrell looks to repeat next year, with a Cook Inlet Conference Championship.

West players are very happy with regular season performance, and are heart broken about the devastating end. Inah Cruz, junior tight-end, comments, “If [Baquiran] had been 100 percent healthy, I believe it would have been a different game.” Baquiran suffered a wrist injury in the last regular season game vs. Dimond, when West won 13-12.

The Eagles may not have come away with the Region Championship, but they should take comfort in their three player awards and a legendary undefeated regular season.