West vs. Dimond Varsity Hockey Game January 16th

Parker Roy, Reporter

West Anchorage High School defeated Dimond High School 1-0 on Saturday, January 16, 2016. It was an aggressive game between the two teams, with West keeping the play in Dimond’s end most of the game.

During the first period though there was no score. West dominated the play keeping the pressure on Dimond’s goalie, senior Chris Gardeline. “ [Chris] Gards [Gardeline] was playing a great game and was keeping us in it,” said junior Tanner Rath.

The second period started 0-0 and both teams came out strong, having several break aways for each team. “ [Isaiah] Saville made some really good saves… we expect it, he is a really talented goalie,” says Sumner Stetson, West’s assistant coach.

Starting the third period, with the score 0-0 both teams were ready to put up a score. And 58 seconds into the period, West freshman #14 Jacob Cummings scored assisted by freshman #11 Max Helgeson and #19 Sullivan Mack. The goal changed the intensity of the play, and Dimond pulled their goalie as they neared the final minutes of the game. “When we pulled our goalie it got a little bit more nerve racking, got a little exciting, got a few more extra shots in. We just didn’t end up with the win,” said Rath.

With several close calls for both teams, West ends the game up 1-0. “We are really satisfied, the guys played really good and did everything to win, they played like hockey players,” said Stetson.

Though the game ended in upset for Dimond, Rath says, “Hopefully we’ll see them again.” As the season gets closer to the State tournament the competition between the teams is increasing, with most eyes on the defending State Champions, West High School.

West is currently ranked number one in the Cook Inlet Conference and currently has 20 wins and two losses for this season. Dimond is right behind them in the number two spot, they currently have 16 wins, five ties and two losses.