ASD Changing The School’s Start And End Time

Jake Townsend, Reporter

The Anchorage School District has been discussing a new change that can possibly happen in a year or two. That possible change is going to be the school could start time and end time. Some students like the proposed change and then others claim that they don’t want the change at all.

Three students from West Anchorage High School participated in a interview on their opinion about the schools start time and end time. Only one out of three thought that the ASD’s idea was a good idea.

Elke Belle Liberti has been attending West for about two years now likes the idea of changing school times. She was asked what she likes about her school and she says, “I like that it’s diverse and I like that we have a lot of opportunities.”

Liberti also thinks that the time change makes more sense because adolescent students normally wake up too early, which makes it more difficult to focus. She also thinks that the change will help her perform better in school because she would be less tired. Liberti says that this will be a positive change because it will make students come to school less tired.

Another student by the name of Clay Kennedy, who has been attending West for one year, says he doesn’t like this time change. Kennedy says, “I don’t like it!”

He was asked how he thought the change would affect him and he replied, “I won’t be able to do sports, it’s during the morning, and that’s when it’s cold.”

Kennedy says that he doesn’t have any problems getting to school. He also thinks that the change will be good because you get more sleep, but bad at the same time because it also messes with his schedule throughout the day. He likes the idea of waking up later so he isn’t as tired in the morning, but if he could change one thing about it, then it would be not to change the start and end time.

Another student by the name of Jace Puttonen, who has also been attending West High School for about two years now doesn’t want the change. He says. “I don’t want that to happen.” He thinks that the change will help him a little bit and other students, but he still doesn’t want the schools start and end time to change, because he is used to how the school is already running. He says that the change would have a negative effect on him because his mom would need him after school for help. Puttonen was asked if he has problems ever getting to school and he said, “sometimes.”

The reason to that is because he recently moved and is more further away from West than most students are. He was also asked if he could change one thing about the schools start and end time change, what would it be? And he replied by saying, “I wouldn’t change it.”