Eagle's Cry

Job of the Student Services Secretary

Kianna Boston

The job of working in Student Services at West Anchorage High School has it’s challenges dealing with 1,846 students, making sure that they’re getting to their classes on time, and making sure they’re following the rules of the school can be overwhelming.

“I would like to see them learn the first time from their error,” says Brenda Stephens, the new student services secretary. She originally started at Romig Middle School at the Attendance and Discipline Administration. Many might think being a secretary shouldn’t be as difficult, maybe have some free time when students are being on their best behavior, but Stephens doesn’t have downtime. She is always ripping and running giving people work detail and In School Suspension. Stephens knows how to maintain the balance between a friendship and being hard on students. “It gets disappointing, however; I won’t give up on them. I still believe that they’ll be successful,” Stephen says.

David Little, student services principal, thinks the same thing when it comes to the difficulties of disciplining students that have good things ahead of them. “Knowing what actions will correct behavior, and trying to build connections with students in learning what their day is like, and what they need to help them be successful here at West High. That is difficult, but the most rewarding,” Little says. Being new to the staff at West, Little explains that he likes the warm welcome with the traditions and customs so well-established over the decades, compared to any other schools he’s worked at.

Michal Treader, one of Stephens’ office aids explains what it’s like completing office errands. “[Stephens] is really nice and funny, and I love talking with her,” Treader says. He also helps out Mr. Little. Being an office aide is doing stuff for the front office, and student services.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Job of the Student Services Secretary”

1. Ruta Faitele on November 28th, 2017 12:00 pm

Wow, who knew that we were such a pain to our staffs. Really made a good story, now we can see how we can pay them back.

[Reply]

2. Quinn on December 2nd, 2017 5:04 pm

I love Ms. Stephens! She’s so nice.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of West Anchorage High School
Job of the Student Services Secretary