After-school Jobs

Jizelle Mendoza, Reporter

Nearly four out of five US students including those in high school work while in school. A large number of students at West High work part-time, or even full time jobs. Survey shows by Citigroup & Seventeen magazine found, the average working student puts in 19 hours a week during the school year.

According to Robert Martinez, Psychologist and a close reliable family friend. “I think students that possess after school jobs often learn important ethics that come with having a job earlier than students that don’t.” He says that it teaches young adults to manage their time efficiently, and improves social interactions among different people.

“In my opinion, I encourage more students to work. In my experience you get so much out of working at a young age. It helps shape and define who you are and who you’ll be while you’re growing.” Martinez has a BA in Psychology and is working on his master’s degree in Human Social Services.

When asked about how students manage handling both working and going to school he said, “That depends on the individual and how they choose to balance school and working.” He often enjoys working with young people as a counselor at a facility and exhilarates young teens to stay on the right path.

Nearly 80% of young students commonly have part-time jobs during the weekends and sometimes after school. Some say they balance work and school perfectly and some say they sometimes have a hard time.

“Often times it’s challenging and burdensome though it feels rewarding working for my own money,” Juslyn Nansen senior at West High school stated. She has been working since her Junior year and currently works at a local Walgreen’s as a cashier in the beauty department.

Parents frequently worry that their child may not accelerate fully in school if they have after school jobs. “I have two daughters in California; one in high school, one in college, and they both have jobs. I just worry they don’t have enough personal time. I’m very proud though, I think it’s responsible.” Diana West, mother of two said, when asked how it feels from a parent’s perspective. Though generally students often want to work after school jobs or at least a part-time.