Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Daniel Laxa, Reporter

It is finally here! The legendary fight between Batman and Superman is now on the big screen! On Friday, March 25th the movie was on screen for the very first time here in Anchorage. The movie, Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, is playing in the following theaters; Century 16, Regal Dimond Center 9, and Regal Tikahtnu Stadium 16. The much anticipated face-off in the comic world has been out for two days and already has received high star ratings ranging from three to five stars out of a total of five.

Zack Snyder, director of the previous Superman film Man of Steel, brings another action-packed, DC comic-inspired movie to the big screen. This time, Snyder brings the second installment in the DC extended universe, Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice is about how the world in the DC Universe labeled Superman as a controversial figure after the dangerous events in the previous film, Man of Steel. Although many people around the world saw Superman as a superhero, there were also many others who thought of him as an extreme threat to human society. Bruce Wayne, or Batman was one of the many people who experienced Superman’s dangerous powers first hand at ground zero during the climactic battle against General Zod in Man of Steel. In the catastrophe many lives were lost and as a result, Batman uses all the resources he has to go up against the immortal alien, Superman.

Calvin Manalo, an employee at the Century 16 Theater, was working the day of the movie’s release and experienced the very busy day first hand. “There were people lined up a couple of hours before the showing time of Batman Vs. Superman. It was very crowded too,” Manalo said. Although it was the opening day for the movie, “Century 16 did not have any special sales or events except for promo cups of Batman and Superman,” said Manalo.

Deneb Fronteras, a student from West Anchorage High School, went to see Batman and Superman face off on the release day of the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fronteras says, “The movie was very intense! Action, action, action, a little bit of drama, and more action. It was really good.” Ben Affleck was new to the role of Batman and many people were anticipating on how good of a “Batman” he was going to be. Fronteras says, “Batman’s actor, Ben Affleck was really good at acting as Batman.”

Samantha Nhu, another student who has watched Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, unlike Fronteras, did not enjoy the movie as much. Nhu says, “I did enjoy the movie but I think it was a bit overhyped, I’d rate it three out of five.” Nhu, just like many others who have seen both the Batman Vs. Superman and Man of Steel films, have compared the two films together. “I thought Man of Steel, was better. The story in Man of Steel was more dramatically appealing than Batman Vs. Superman.”