Student Life with phones

Jashua Tomihara, Reporter

Student Life With phones

Everyday students of West Anchorage High School have electronics that they can use in many different ways. Whether it’s checking the latest post by the most known celebrity in the world, to looking for resources for finals at the end of the semester. There are many advantages and disadvantages for students using their phones during school time. In the the everyday life of a student at West High, cellular devices are used in pretty much every class. There is not one class where students are not using their phones because it is a huge impact for kids at this school.

Jason Larsen is a junior at West and believes that cellphones are a beneficial tool for kids. Going on the internet and looking for resources to complete a project is a good way students use their phones. Checking grades is another good way students use their phones productively. “It really is a good tool for students it’s just that Kids don’t use it for the right reason” He uses his phone pretty much everyday but it doesn’t relate to school work. “I try not to go on my phone as much but whenever I am chillin in classes, it seems to usually happen, I go and scroll through twitter and instagram,” says Larsen. Many students nowadays have access to to apps that involves them to be informed of what is happening around the world.

Well Jason is only a student but from the teacher’s perspective, it’s a whole different story. Ms. Sanchez has traveled from Glendale Arizona and is starting her first year teaching at West. She says that the way students use their class, is totally different from the schools in Arizona. “In Arizona, kids aren’t supposed to have any electronics. I’m used to seeing kids without their phones but up here, you see it on the table. You see them with earphones plugged in their ears.” Says Sanchez. Many kids are so attached to their phones, they get so used to have it out during class time. Many teachers get frustrated and they feel like the kids dislike them. “ When kids go on their phones during the hour, I feel like they don’t like me because the lack of attention I receive. But at the end, it all depends on their grades.” States Sanchez.